Filed under: Grandparent Hints and Tips, Space Saving, Uncategorized
Patti’s Saga of an RV Rookie: Freewheeling Part 1 (Why We Sold Our House and Live on Wheels)
I’m a “Baby Boomer.” I have long teeth and even longer memories of a simpler, freer, United States of America. It’s these memories, and a desire for a deeper connection with loved ones, that motivated us to simplify our lives; that is, to sell our home, possessions, and hunker down to a 24 foot motor home. In essence, we have declared our independence.
Our Declaration of Independence, 2011:
Given that we want to decrease the ways we’re impacted by governmental direction, and decrease the time and resources required to maintain a house, and given that we want to increase our freedom, and increase the time we spend with loved ones around the country…
We have sold most (virtually all) of our possessions, including our home, and purchased the motor home we think works best for us. Thus, we declare ourselves official members of the full time RVing community. We’re delighted and quite pleased with ourselves.
However, my beautiful grown-up girl frets, ” But Mom, what if you regret selling everything and moving into an RV?”
“Well, then, darling…we’ll adjust accordingly.”
Who knows? Maybe someday we’ll change our minds, get a tiny home base, and morph into snowbirds. Or maybe not. We’ll live the full time RV life for a year or so, and then assess things. But we won’t know how we feel or what we’ll learn unless we step out in faith, and embrace our belief that there truly is more than one way of doing things (and yes, some of our friends think we have “lost it”).
We’re thrilled with our increased freedom, our ability to connect more deeply with those we love, and our scaled down standard of living. Oh, and about that…I’ll let you know if, or how much, square footage correlates with contentment!
My husband and I declare we can live, love, give, serve, and work from a home on wheels as joyfully as we did from a home on soil, and with fewer entangling alliances.
What about you, Dear Reader? Is there a Declaration of Independence in your future? If so, what might you declare ? I’d like to hear what you have to say. I hope you enjoy the upcoming blog series on full time Freewheeling, and
Happy tales to you and yours,
Last 5 posts by Patti F.
- Patti’s Saga of a Former RV Rookie :Give a Mother’s Day gift she’ll really like: an iPad docking station. - May 2nd, 2012
- Patti Faustini: How you can benefit from the Eastern Montana/North Dakota Bakken Oil Boom, Part 3: housing and cost of living - February 9th, 2012
- Patti Faustini: How you can benefit from the Eastern Montana/North Dakota Bakken Oil Boom: Part 2 (Two Sides to Every Coin). - February 5th, 2012
- Patti Faustini: Part 1 of How you can benefit from the Eastern Montana/North Dakota Bakken Oil Boom: There's oil and jobs! - January 30th, 2012
- Patti’s Saga of an RV Rookie: Christmas Eve Salad, Tlaquepaque style… - November 28th, 2011