Good Sam Camping Blog
TEST Header

Motor Home Driving Tips

May 25, 2014 by · Leave a Comment 

Operating large class “C” and “A” coaches is not as difficult as you might think.  However, maneuvering in some campgrounds, especially backing into your assigned space, can present challenges.  The primary concern is to get onto the campsite safely and without damaging the motor home or surrounding items.  This can best be accomplished by using […]

6 Case Studies in Preventing RV Fires

6 Case Studies in Preventing RV Fires

April 2, 2014 by · 3 Comments 

With an average of 3,100 RV fires each year, there is no shortage of news stories across the U.S. and Canada about devastating losses due to recreational vehicle fires. These fires caused seven deaths, 62 injuries, and approximately $41 million in damages each year. These numbers reflect how important fire safety and fire prevention are […]

Space Heaters a Potential Cause of RV Fires

Space Heaters a Potential Cause of RV Fires

March 9, 2014 by · Leave a Comment 

Fire safety is essential when camping in your recreational vehicle. In earlier posts I reported on space heater fires that destroyed RVs and caused the death of its occupants—both human and canine. Following are recent reports on four RVs destroyed by fires that were caused by human carelessness. Ohio: Space Heater Cause of Camper Fire Mansfieldnewsjournal.com […]

Fires Destroy 5 RVs, Pickup & Fatality

Fires Destroy 5 RVs, Pickup & Fatality

December 27, 2013 by · Leave a Comment 

Whether camping or just relaxing in your recreational vehicle, fire safety is essential. It is critical that every member of your party know what to do in a fire or other emergency. If you are one of the millions of RV enthusiasts who love to take to the road and explore the country, ensure your family’s safety while […]

North Dakota Indoor RV Park Keeps Oilfield Workers Out of the Cold

North Dakota Indoor RV Park Keeps Oilfield Workers Out of the Cold

December 18, 2013 by · Leave a Comment 

About seven months ago I reported that a group of Minnesota partners were planning an indoor RV park to house North Dakota oilfield workers five miles south of Watford City, North Dakota. When initially proposed, the idea prompted mixed reactions. “So many people thought we were crazy,” Louis Bonneville of Carlton, Minnesota, one of the […]

Christmas Gift Ideas for the Avid Outdoorsperson in Your Life

Christmas Gift Ideas for the Avid Outdoorsperson in Your Life

December 15, 2013 by · Leave a Comment 

As some of you know, every December I follow up my St. Nick Stocking Stuffer ideas of inexpensive gifts for the outdoor lover with a post about Christmas gift ideas. The time has come, so here are my suggestions for your outdoors-lovers: 1)      The High Gear Altimeter/Barometer/Compass. As someone who routinely hikes at elevation, I […]

Gavilan Canyon: Canyon of the Hawk

Gavilan Canyon: Canyon of the Hawk

December 8, 2013 by · Leave a Comment 

Just before the first snows fell in Taos County, NM, Terry and I were in the mood for a new trail for our typical Saturday morning hike. One of the few local trails we had not tried was Gavilan Trail in Hondo Canyon on the way to the Taos Ski Valley. We had avoided that […]

Important Notice for RVers – Extended Warranty Rates Increase on November 15th

November 12, 2013 by · Leave a Comment 

With 2014 quickly approaching, it’s time to grab hold of Good Sam Extended Service Plan’s lowest rates before your rig becomes one model year older on November 15, 2013 And don’t forget – If your rig is model year 1998, you will no longer be eligible to receive a quote for Good Sam Extended Service […]

RVers Die of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in 2 Separate Incidents

RVers Die of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in 2 Separate Incidents

November 10, 2013 by · Leave a Comment 

A 75-year-old Pennsylvania man and a Colorado high school student died of carbon monoxide gas poisoning in two separate incidents. 75-year-old Pennsylvania Man Dies from Carbon Monoxide A 75-year-old Windber, Pennsylvania, man died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning while at the Allegany County Fairgrounds and his 76-year-old-wife was taken to a hospital in […]

Working Carbon Monoxide Detectors Can Save Lives

Working Carbon Monoxide Detectors Can Save Lives

October 18, 2013 by · Leave a Comment 

In an earlier post I reported that five people died in their sleep from carbon monoxide poisoning inside a rented camper at a bike rally in Clarksville, Tennessee. Investigators said the victims appeared to have been overcome by carbon monoxide fumes that leaked into the camper from a generator. The RV’s carbon monoxide detector, which […]

Next Page »